Fear

Fear wraps its tentacles around my heart.
Fear of not doing enough...
not being enough...
Even tighter, till my breath is gone
and I cannot move.
It holds me, its captive.
"Fight the deadly serpent,"
part of me insists. "Do not let this evil win."
but the fear is too strong.
"I will never let you go!" it cries.
"When you want to open up,
I'll be there... waiting.
I grow stronger when you falter.
I rejoice in your mistakes.
I will always prevent you
from pursuing your dreams.
I will always oppose you,
you can never defeat me.
For I am you!"
Again it squeezes
to prove its power over me.
I shudder and shrink into myself.
No one else can see this demon... my fear.
"Stop." they tell me. "It's silly to be scared."
I know.
There is nothing, waiting in the shadows.
No dragon lies in wait beyond these walls,
the walls I constructed to protect myself
the walls I refuse to tear down,
immobilized by fear.
I am the only one who can see my demon
the only one who can defeat it.
And that is why, it will always win!

Comments

  1. THe poem resonates with me.Fear can be a good thing if there really is danger, but many fears keep us acheiving what we really want in life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unconditional

In memory of Destiny Lester

Tragedy