Cruel Life

Time goes on, as if it didn't know
For me it's still. If not, it's moving slow.
All these smiles, they stab me like a knife
and no one knows -- how cruel is this life.
I have no grave to visit, nor ashes to spread.
I don't even know how long you've been dead.
Can I choose to say it isn't so
Can I block it out, as if I didn't know?
If I could hold a paper in my hand,
would I accept it then, would I understand?
How did I let the years go by --
without picking up the phone just to say hi?
Now simply because I didn't try
I'll never even get to say goodbye.
Do I even have the right to grieve?
Am I allowed redemption or reprieve?
Always too busy with my life to hear
Always too tired, too stressed to lend an ear.
The earth still spins and we have dawn
even without you -- cruel life marches on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unconditional

In memory of Destiny Lester

Tragedy