My Girl

The sounds around are deafening
the voices barely heard
bombarding shells hit night and day
I barely hear a word.

But in my pocket a treasure lie,
worth more to me than gold
A treasure I will always keep,
'Til my body's still and cold.

A reminder of my love for her
and a place I used to call home
a letter sent across the seas
travels with me wherever I roam

Not written with the steadiest hand
or with a poet's words
This letter still's more beautiful
than the song of a thousand birds

And as I do those daily tasks
we both know must be done
I keep the words next to my heart
pretending I'm not gone.

Then one day, when I return
this time, home to stay
nothing in this world could take
my love for her away.

The paper's worn and tattered
but I cling to it still
now I'll take it out to read
as frequently I will

"I love you and I miss you..."
the letter starts to say
"I hope you're coming home soon,
and you'll be home to stay.

"Don't forget your sweetheart
for anything in the world.
I'll always love you Daddy,
Love, Daddy's favorite girl."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unconditional

In memory of Destiny Lester

Tragedy